Saturday, August 1, 2009

Karl hits the BIG 40!

Karl had his birthday this past Tuesday.  It was one of those 'milestone' events we all face--the big 40!  I don't think it 'bothered' him as much as it would have a year or so ago.  He seemed to take it all in stride.

Danielle and I went to St.Louis to get him on Friday.  Today we all [the ones who live in this area] went to Truman Lake for a cookout and 'celebration' of his birthday. I found a few "Over the Hill" banners, etc. at the Dollar Store in Warsaw and Robbie and I taped them up around the shelter.  Karl had a little bit to say about that, but not so much.  I think He really kind of liked them!

Kevin brought pork steaks to grill[ I know that surprises some people--uh, not much, that is his favorite thing to grill!] Kirk and Stacy brought hotdogs and Ron and I brought hamburgers and hot dogs.  Kevin and Danielle made a fresh salsa [everything was from their garden] and Kevin fixed some guacamole, and sliced some tomatoes.  Kirk and Stacy  brought chips, too. And I made a pasta salad and some cole slaw. For once, Karl didn't get a lemon cake[there was a glitch about who was making it!?!?] but Kris and I stopped at Wal-mart and picked up and "excellent" chocolate birthday cake!  Kris also brought his famous Kristopher dip and the cream cheese, bacon and cheddar spread he makes for crackers that we all like, too.Val and Robbie brought several different kinds of cookies -homemade- that were great

Several people went down to the beach and played in the water for a while, but mostly we just sat around and visited together. and 'spent time' with each other.  Cory came down after she got off work and got to spend a couple of hours with us, too.  As we were leaving, the sun was beginning to set.  This giant orange and gold ball was reflecting on the water as it slowly sank behind one of the Ozark Hills. It was Beautiful!

Robbie came home with us and is spending the night.  Then he is going with us to take his Dad back to St.Louis tomorrow afternoon. Kristopher and I are making the trip this time.  After this coming Friday, Ron and I will be able to handle this part pf it,---but more about that LATER!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that it was a good day! I wish we could have been there! :O( I hate SEARS sometimes!

dad/papaw said...

It was a good time and a beeeutiful! day (except for the flying bugs). And, Suze, if not for SEARS you probably would never have gotten to see the gorgeous country where you live! But, I miss you too!

Abby said...

Good point Ron! I sometimes too am bummed that I feel like I miss out on important moments but try very hard to reflect on the wonderful things my family does get to see and experience!

Happy Birthday Karl!

Mandy said...

I like how everyone knows what the other family members are going to bring "their usual" dish. That's funny. Sounds like a fun day. Casey turns the big 3-0 in a couple wks, hard to believe...

Unknown said...

For the record, it's not cream cheese in that spread - it's sour cream. Wish I could take credit, but the recipe is on the back of some packages of Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix - bacon cheddar ranch dip, or something like that. Kristopher dip, however, is my own creation - I think...